1.01.2011

Sweet Potato Curry Soup

I got burnt.

It hurt.

It hurt quite a bit.

But the soup was delicious, so it was just about worth it.

Did I just make a rhyme about soup burning me?  Wow.  I'm a dork.

So on to this harmful soup...


Sweet Potato and Curry soup.  It's warm and delicious.  The curry is an amazing match up with sweet potatoes.  That's a sausage ball floating on top, in case you were wondering. 

Ok so these burns...


You cannot really tell all that well from the picture, but this is on my inner arm right after it happened.  It then continued to grow and swell into a huge welt and stayed bright red for the next week and a half.  Not cool.  I also was burnt on my chest, stomach and neck.  How did this happen exactly?  

I blame my dang blender.  After the soup had been cooked and near boiling, I put some of it in the blender to puree.  The first batch went fine.  No explosion and no burns.  But the second batch blew off the top of the blender (I was holding the top down just to be sure that this did not happen).  Our kitchen looked like I had just murdered a pumpkin.  Orange goop was everywhere, including all over me and my long sleeve shirt, which I got burned through.  I immediately screamed and Hubby comes running in the kitchen and starts laughing at an orange-splattered me and kitchen, until he realized that I was burnt.  It was awful, but actually kind of funny too.

Here's the dangerous soup recipe:

Sweet Potato Curry Soup

3 med. sweet potatoes, peeled and diced.
3 Tablespoons butter
1 sm. onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, plus more for garnish
1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/4 cups chunky applesauce
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1-2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in a large pot over med. heat.  Add onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 5 mins.  Stir in the ginger, nutmeg, 1 1/4 tsp curry powder, and salt and pepper.  Cook until toasted, 1 min.  Add the diced sweet potatoes, chicken broth and 2 cups water to the pot, cover and bring to a boil over med-hi heat.  Reduce the heat to med low and stir in the applesauce.  Simmer, covered, until sweet potatoes are soft, about 20 mins.  Puree the soup in batches.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  

Heat the remaining 1 Tablespoon butter in a skillet over med heat.  Add the remaining 1/4 tsp curry powder and cook, stirring until browned, just a few minutes.  Remove from heat and add the vinegar.  

Top the soup with the curry butter, nutmeg, and cilantro.

Enjoy.  And don't get burnt.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...