10.26.2010

Meatloaf + Bacon biscuits.

Meatloaf.

Ick.

I think it's the two words together more than anything.  A loaf of meat does not at all sound appetizing.  Meatloaf was voted as the 7th top food among americans in 2007.  REALLY?!  Slices of meat that could be mistaken for a piece of banana bread laying there slathered in a big puddle of ketchup.  Eww.
Not grossed out yet?  Take a look here...


It's like a raw bacon covered rolly-polly. I was so unbelievably grossed out while making this thing.  
There was a constant "this is soooo disgusting" snarl on my face.  I deal with much, much more gross things at work, but for some reason, I have a lot of trouble getting past raw meat, especially when I have to lump it all together and cover it with even more raw meat.  

So why am I writing a blog post that has surely grossed out both you and me already?  Because this meatloaf actually turned out delicious.  Don't believe me?  Yeah, I didn't believe me either.  But it is.  


Prior to this dinner preparation of the repulsive raw meat-log, I hated meatloaf.  but after trying the first bite, my mind was forever changed.  
  
Made something else including bacon in the batter to go with the loaf.  Bacon, onion and cheddar biscuits.  The picture doesn't do too much justice, but these guys are really good.  (I did not have to be convinced on this one).


Enjoy, if you dare! You will not be disappointed. 

Meatloaf
Adapted from ThePioneerWoman
*this recipe makes 8 servings as written here.  When I cooked it, I halved all the ingredients.

1 cup milk
6 slices bread
1 lb ground beef
1 lb spicy (or mild, depending on your taste, I used spicy) italian sausage
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp seasoning salt
3/4 tsp salt
pepper
1/3 minced fresh parsley
4 eggs, beaten
10 slices regular bacon
2 cups of your favorite barbecue sauce

preheat oven to 350.  pour milk over bread slices and let soak for a while.  

put ground beef, sausage, bread slices, parmesan, seasoned salt, pepper, and parsley in a large bowl.  pour in eggs.

Mix the ingredients with your hands until combined.  shaped into a loaf and place in a broiler pan.  Lay bacon strips over top, tucking the ends underneath.  

Cover with 1/3 of the sauce.  Bake for 45 mins.  pour over another 1/3 of the sauce.  Bake another 15mins.  (mine took longer than this to cook through...about 1 hr, 15 mins.)

Bacon, onion and cheddar biscuits
Also adapted from ThePioneerWoman

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 shortening (I used crisco)
10 Tbsp milk (possibly more)
4 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 egg
10 slices thick cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup diced onions, sauteed until light brown (cook them in the bacon grease)
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

sift together flour, baking powder and salt.  Cut in shortening until pea-sized crumbles appear.  Combine milk, oil and egg, and whisk together.  

Combine flour mixture, milk mixture, onions, bacon and cheese.  stir until combined.  

spoon into greased muffin tins (makes about a dozen).  Bake 20-22 mins at 375.  serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...