11.30.2010

Pop Tarts

Who does not love poptarts?  I try to refrain from them, not only because they are filled with processed ingredients and loads of sugar, but because I think they are best eaten while also slathered in butter.  I know, lots of sugar and fat, and I add more of it.  This is why I try to refrain.  When they came out with blueberry muffin pop tarts, I was a mess.  I bought a box just about everyday.  It actually has been quite a while since I have had them, and since have forgotten, just a little, how good they are.
I had a good amount of pie dough leftover from my duties on Thanksgiving.  I was pretty pied out and had no other ideas for leftover pie dough.  Jeremy pops in (taking a small break from his new PS3 game Granturismo 5) and says "make poptarts".

Brilliant!

And so I did.  I made some poptarts of my own.
They were so cute!  Beside the fact that a few of them had fillings bursting out the side, I'd say they were pretty darn precious.  This has been done before, and done probably much better than mine, but I, along with my family and dear hubby were content with these well-known, homemade treats.  
Like I said, not as perfect as the others, but I'm willing to bet they were just as tasty.  For the fillings I used homemade blueberry and cranberry-apple jam (blog post on that coming soon), peanut butter/chocolate, and strawberry.  
For the strawberry and peanut butter poptarts, I decided they would be better with a chocolate drizzle.  The favorite flavor of the bunch was the strawberry filling with chocolate glaze.  Hubby says that I need to make these every morning for breakfast, although his breakfast does not start till about 2 in the afternoon, so I might could handle that ; )
Got some leftover pie dough?  Or just feel like making some?  Make these guys.  And let me know what fillings you choose to use, there are so many possibilities!


This is the same pie dough recipe I used for all the turkey day pies...




No Fail Pie Crust
1-½ cup Crisco
3 cups flour
1 whole egg
5 Tbsp Cold Water
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp salt
In a large bowl, with a pastry cutter (or your fingers, or 2 knives), gradually work the Crisco into the flour until it resembles a coarse meal. In a small bowl, beat an egg with a fork and then pour it into the flour/shortening mixture. Add 5 tablespoons of cold water, 1 tablespoon of white vinegar and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir together gently until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
Separate the dough into thirds. Form 3 evenly sized balls of dough and place each dough into a large ziploc bag. Using a rolling pin, slightly flatten each ball of dough (to make rolling easier later. Seal the bags and place them in the freezer until you need them. When you are ready to use the dough to make a crust, remove from the freezer and allow to thaw for 15 minutes. On a floured surface roll out the dough, until it’s about ½ inch larger in diameter than your pie pan.  It’s also very helpful to douse your rolling pin in flour.

For the Pop Tarts:
Make the dough in the above recipe (or use your own favorite pie dough recipe), and roll the dough out very thin.   Make rectangles out of the rolled out pie dough.  I used a pizza cutter so that I would have even lines, although a knife or straight edge of some sort would probably work just fine.  Make an even amount of rectangles with the dough.  

Fill half of the rectangles with whatever fillings you choose, and then top with another rectangle.  Use a fork to crimp edges of the rectangles together, and use something with a point (I used a kabob stick, I imagine a toothpick would also work) to make little holes on the top rectangle.  Brush top of the pop tarts with 1 beaten egg, a few tablespoons of water and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes until they are golden on top.  Melt 2 tablespoons of chocolate in the microwave or in a double boiler and drizzle on top, if you want.

*a few ideas for fillings:  

-jams/jellies of any flavor
-peanut butter mixed with 1 teaspoon sugar
-fresh fruit mixed with 1 teaspoon sugar
-yogurt  of any flavor
-nutella+brown sugar
-cookie dough
-cake batter





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...