12.04.2010

Sweet Potato Souffle.

Souffle.

Souffle.


SOUFFLE.

The more you say it, the weirder it sounds.  It comes from a french verb meaning "to blow up".  It perfectly describes what happens to it when it's baked.  It starts out nice and flat, and then about overflows out of the dish!  It's crazy.
I've only had a souffle one other time in my life.  It was from Panera Bread.  It was spinach cheese something, I think.  Clearly I did not think very highly of it, since I cannot remember exactly what kind it was.  I was not impressed.  I've always heard that souffle's are really hard to make, and that they often "fall" after they poof up.  I was challenged by this, not only to make a souffle that did not collapse, but to make a tasty one after my let down.  Sweet Potatoes.  You can never go wrong with sweet potatoes.  So this is what I made the souffle from.  It was awesome!  Very yummy and it didn't fall!  Yay!

I made it for breakfast one saturday.  They're really fun to make and watch puff up!  I need to find more delicious varieties.  Maybe an eggnog flavor for Christmas?  Does that exist?  I'll find out. Or invent it.

Here's the recipe.

Sweet Potato Souffle
Adapted from Martha Stewart
1 Tablespoon butter, plus more for greasing up the dish
Sugar, to dust dish
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 cup milk
1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (see recipe below)
3 eggs, room temp, whites and yolks separated
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
dash of salt
powdered sugar, for topping, optional.


Preheat oven to 375. butter a 1 1/2 quart souffle dish and dust with sugar.  (I did not have a "souffle" dish...I used a mini casserole dish, and it worked fine.)


In a saucepan, heat butter over medium heat.  Add flour and cook, stirring until golden.  Gradually whisk in milk; simmer, whisking constantly until thickened, about 1 minute.  Remove from heat.  Add sweet potatoes and egg yolks.  Stir in Maple syrup and nutmeg.

With a mixer, beat egg whites with a dash of salt until stiff peaks form.  Whisk a 1/4 of the egg whites into the sweet potato mixture.  Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the remaining egg whites.  Pour mixture into dish and bake for 35-45 minutes, until the thing puffs up.  Serve warm, sprinkled with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...