11.02.2011

Flank Steak and Sweet Potato Fries


Sweet potatoes are my favorite veggie.  I love baked whole sweet potatoes, but those take way too long to make, and I'm kinda impatient, especially for just a side dish.  Sweet potato fries are the way to go!  They are super quick to make and so delicious.  I made them to go along side some flank steak.  I've never been huge on cooking steak, it intimidates me.  So many people like their steak different ways, I'm just always scared I'll mess it up.  I usually just leave the steaks to Jeremy and his grill.  


I decided it was time for me to try and cook some steak.  I did it successfully.  Yay!  We like our steaks medium-rare, so I just cooked it in a skillet for a few minutes on each side, and it came out perfectly.  I also made a really good sauce to go with it.  It's a chimichurri sauce, made mostly from garlic and parsley.  Dinner was delicious.


Sweet Potato Fries
1 large sweet potato
1-2 tbsp olive oil
salt 
pepper 
cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 425.  Wash and scrub sweet potatoes.  Cut into thick strips and put on a baking sheet.  

Drizzle with olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper, and cayenne if you want a little heat.

Roast for about 15 minutes, until fries are crisp-tender.


Flank Steak
1 1/2 lbs flank steak
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil


Season both sides of steak with with salt and pepper.  Heat olive oil over med-hi heat in a skillet.

Cook steak 5-8 minutes on each side for medium rare, longer if you like your steak more done.

Let the steak rest, covered for 10 minutes.  Slice and serve.

Parsley-Garlic Chimichurri Sauce
From Martha Stewart


1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 bunch parsley, stemmed
3 Tbsp oregano leaves, fresh
3 Tbsp white-wine vinegar
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (I added more like 1/4-1/2 tsp)


Pulse garlic in a food processor until finely chopped.

Add in parsley, oregano, vinegar, red pepper flakes, oil, 2 Tbsp water and 1/2 tsp salt.

Pulse until all mixed together and herbs are finely chopped.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...