12.22.2011

Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash



I feel like this little blog has been fairly neglected lately.  And when I say lately, I really mean for the last 4 months.  It's not that I'm not cooking, because I am.  It's usually a number of reasons why I don't have posts on everything I make.  Here are a few:

1.  I don't always have time to take photos of my finished meals.  With 2 babies who want to eat/play/be rocked to sleep, food photos are simply forgotten about as we try to shuffle food into our mouths so that we can eat our dinner in one sitting instead of a few bites here and there.

2.  I often make quick and easy meals (again, because of the 2 babies thing), and I usually don't think of those meals as either blog-worthy or photogenic. 

This is one of those recipes.  It's quick, it's easy, and it's especially ugly (more so in this photo than in real life.)  But man is it delicious.  And healthy! 

Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
few Tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp cumin
2 large sweet potatoes, chopped 
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 cup blackbeans (about 1/2 can)
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup monterey Jack cheese
3 eggs

Heat olive oil over med-hi heat in a skillet/dutch oven.  add onion and sauté about 5 mins.  Add garlic, jalapeños and corn, and sauté about 5 mins more.  add cumin and stir until thoroughly combined.  Add sweet potatoes and black beans, reduce heat to low and let simmer, covered, for about 20-25 mins, until the sweet potatoes are tender.  stir about every 5 minutes to make sure the mixture isn't sticking to the pan, and you can add a little water if it seems really dry.  

preheat broiler.  Add cayenne pepper, salt and cheese.  Stir over low heat until all the cheese has melted.  Crack 3 eggs over the mixture and transfer to oven under the broiler. Broil 3-5 mins, until the eggs are cooked.  Serve with hot sauce!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...