7.20.2010

Salsa

Ok so I had planned on blogging about what  I made for dinner, but it wasn't all that good, and I had 3 different dinners tonight anyway, so I just made some salsa to blog about instead.  So for my dinner, (first dinner)  I made potatoes with a cheese and tomato sauce.  I found the recipe here.  I did not think that the recipe was very good, but with a few changes it may have been alright.  I would have most definately added some garlic, and also probably added some serranos.  And maybe added some spiced shredded chicken and served it over rice if I wanted some meat in there.  So...I still had an overabundance of blackberries and peaches lying around, and decided to make a blackberry and peach salsa.  Now, I looked at a few different blackberry peach recipes-and they all had weird random stuff in them...so I mixed/matched and such.  One of the ingredients was a red bell pepper.  I did not have one, so I used a purple one.
  I had bought these a while back, because I had never seen a purple bell pepper before, and was curious to taste them.  They are not quite as sweet as the red kind, but not as bitter as the green.  They're pretty good.  None of the recipes I found called for spicy ingredients either, and I need some spice in my salsa, even if its a fruit salsa.  So I added some serranos...
and some citrus...
Isn't it pretty?
I need to get some pita chips...oh! maybe the cinnamon sugar ones?  that may be really good with this salsa.  Here is the modified recipe I used in case you would like it!

Ingredients:
2 Large peaches, sliced and diced (peeled if you like)
1 1/2 cups fresh (or frozen, thawed) blackberries
1/2 large sweet bell pepper (red, orange, or purple), diced
1 shallot, diced
2 serrano (or jalapeno) peppers, diced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (about 3 big limes)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup honey

combine everything, adding the blackberries last.  This is what you get!

Ok so after that I continued on and made yet another salsa...more traditional this time.
One of my favorite salsas, (aside from fresh authentic salsa straight from mexico) is Trader Joe's brand fresh salsa.  So this is my recreation of that.

Ingredients:
2-3 medium sized tomatoes, diced
1/2 white onion, diced
1 garlic cloved, minced
2 serrano peppers, diced
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
a few pinches of salt

combine all together and mix!


Sorry this post is forever long.  Going to go do some yoga now : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...