9.17.2010

Nacho Bell Grande

Jeremy said he wanted Taco Bell for lunch today.

I agreed that I wanted Taco Bell also, but I am currently against fast-food eating.  I am staying away from the nasty, fried, processed fast food joints at least until after the 2 half-marathon races that I am running.  I would love to make it a life style decision, but we'll see.  Doing good so far...been on a streak of about 2 or 3 months?  The same with pop.

Yes, I say pop.  I'm from Michigan.

So, instead of going to Taco Bell, I made my own version of a popular dish of theirs.

Nacho Bell Grande.
Tortilla chips covered in spicy cheese, seasoned ground beef, tomatoes, jalapenos, garlic, green onions, black beans and bacon (Taco Bell uses refried beans, sour cream, and no bacon).

That my friend, is a Nacho Bell Grande.

It's delicious.




And healthier than the drive-thru stuff.








It very much satisfied the Taco Bell craving.  Next Jeremy says I have to make the lettuce wraps from P.F. Chang's.

I went to the Chihuly display tonight, and it was pretty awesome.  Blown glass is really sweet.



My Makeshift Nacho Bell Grande recipe


1 garlic clove, grated
2 serrano peppers, minced
Handful of grape/cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 stalks green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 can black beans, rinsed and drained
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 lb ground beef
taco seasoning packet
2 strips crispy bacon, chopped
1 cup milk
1 1/4 cup pepper jack/mexican cheese
tortilla chips

Fry bacon in a skillet until cooked through.  drain on paper towels.

Mix together tomatoes, chilis, green onion, garlic, black beans and toss with lime juice.

Brown beef and add seasoning packet.

Mix milk, cheese and some pepper together in a sauce pan, and heat until cheese is melted.

To assemble:

Put tortilla chips in serving dish.  Pile on the tomato-beans mixture, and ground beef.  pour cheese over, and top with chopped up bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...