12.10.2010

Cran-Apple-Jam

When the word "Cranberry Sauce" is said aloud, what image pops into your head?

I bet I can guess.

I bet it looks something like this.

They tried to make it look pretty here.

Does not work.  You cannot make something that disgusting look desirable to eat when you know that all it takes to prepare it is this.

I have always been repulsed by this jellied, cranberry flavored side dish that has taken the shape of it's container.  It always sat on our Thanksgiving table, probably brought by one of the laziest of cooks in our family, whoever that may be.  I take one glance at the nasty can-shaped fruit and continue on toward the sweet potatoes.

This year, I decided to try and make something more delicious and appealing to the eye.

Cranberry Apple Jam.


It has apples and cranberries in it.  Had you guessed as much?


And 6 cups of sugar.  6 cups!! that's insane.  but I don't care.  It was good.

I drowned all those apples and cranberries in those 6 cups of sugar.

and then,  I canned them.
It was delicious.  Blew the canned stuff out of the water.  Even replaced it on the Thanksgiving table.  It also made pretty gifts for my family.  and pop tart filling.  and biscuit spreads.  and made for a great spoon-dipping treat all by itself. 

make it.  can it.  give it away.  or keep it.  and then stuff your face.  

Apple-Cranberry Jam (makes 4 1/2-5 pints)
from foodinjars
8 cups peeled, chopped apples (use a soft apple, such as Golden Delicious)
4 cups whole cranberries
6 cups sugar
1 cup water
2 lemons, zested and juiced

Combine apples, cranberries, sugar and water in a large pot.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Skim the foam that develops.  Cook 10-15 minutes, until the cranberries "pop"  (it's awesome, they just pop right open!) and apple soften.

Add lemon zest and juice and simmer until liquid thickens.  Ladle into jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.  

That's it!  Quite easy and delicious.  




1 comment:

  1. I might make this today! I have all the ingredients and we're stuck in with the snow today!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...