4.15.2011

Malted Milk Cookies


It just occurred to me that I have been posting recipes and things on this blog for almost a year now and I have not once posted about a traditional chocolate chip cookie recipe.  This is a shame.  I guess maybe because I always try to put non-traditional and fancy things here, and I never really think of chocolate chip cookies as being anything more than a little boring.  That is until now.  Before I found this recent recipe, my traditional chocolate chip cookies were made with the addition of a box of vanilla pudding.  It makes the cookies extremely soft.  I came across this recipe one day and it intrigued me because it added a very unique ingredient.  Malted milk.  Have you ever had it?  It's the ingredient that makes malt milkshakes amazing.  It's the middle part of a whopper (the candy, not the burger, eww).  It's made from barley, wheat and milk.  I don't know how those three ingredients transform these cookies into quite possibly the best traditional chocolate chip cookie ever, but they do.  It adds a little bit of saltiness, which I find strange, since neither barley, nor wheat, nor milk have salty tastes.  The tiny tang of saltiness goes so well with the sugars and the chocolate chips.  The edges are a little crispy and the middle of the cookie is chewy.  I need Alton Brown to do an episode on malted milk in action.  Maybe then I will figure out why these cookies are so good.  I made a big batch of dough of these the other day, and have baked a batch every day since then...and then they are gone...and there are only 2 of us in our house (well 4 if you count the twins in my belly).  That's way too many cookies a day for 2.65 people a day.  They just taste too good to not eat them.  Especialy with a glass of milk for dipping.


Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies.
from ThePioneerWoman

2 sticks butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 Tsp vanilla extract
 2 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup (rounded cup) malted milk powder
1 bag (12 oz) chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375.  Cream together butter and both sugars.  Add in 2 eggs and blend slightly, then add vanilla and blend until combined.  Add malted milk powder and blend once again.

Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt, then add to butter/sugar mixture and mix well.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased or nonstick baking sheets.  Bake 9-11 mins, until edges are golden brown.  

**Malted milk can be hard to find if you have never bought it...I found it (after a long search) in the aisle where the chocolate milk powders (like ovaltine and such) are found.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...