11.04.2012

"Chicken" Fried Tofu


An exciting outing for me is going to Trader Joe's and/or Whole Foods.  I don't get to go to either of them very often, since they are on the opposite sides of town from where we live.  The Kroger down the road is just much more convenient and cheaper to buy the bulk of our groceries at.  But there are the occasional times that I get the chance to go to one of the most awesome grocery stores.  The last time I went to Whole Foods, I took the boys with me.  After shopping for a bit, we had lunch at store as well. Whole Foods has a lot of vegan/vegetarian friendly foods, and one of the things that the boys and I ate there was "chicken" fried tofu.  The boys loved it, and I was a fan as well.  It really did taste like fried chicken, with a little bit different texture.  I searched some recipes online and found a pretty good copycat recipe.  I made these for dinner one night at home, and they were awesome! 


"Chicken" Fried Tofu
from whiskflipstir.com

1 14-oz pkg extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
2 cups double strength chicken-flavored vegan broth (I used THIS kind)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup flour
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp poultry seasoning (I used goya)
1/2 tsp dried garlic
1/2 tsp dried minced onion
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Cut tofu into squares or strips.  Place tofu in a shallow pan and cover with the broth.  Soak at least one hour, and up to overnight, in the refridgerator.  After tofu has finished marinating, Stir together the flour, yeast, and spices in a bowl.  Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.  Remove tofu from broth and roll each piece around in the flour mixture until covered.  I did a second breading also...dunk again into the broth, and then again into the flour/spice mixture.  

Place tofu in hot oil and fry until brown and crisp on all sides (about 2-3 minutes per side).  Remove from oil and set on a plate lined with paper towels to drain.  

Serve and enjoy!    




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...