12.23.2012

Sweet Potato Ravioli with Kale Pesto


My junk food loving husband claims that he hates kale.  I love kale, and since it's super good for you, I'm always trying to sneak it into dishes so that he may not notice, like he's a 5 year old or something.  I was pretty sure I had succeeded.  He ate a whole serving without a complaint.  When he was done eating, I said, "So you know that had kale in it!"  He was like, "Yeah, I know.  I could taste it.  But I didn't want to be mean and not eat it.  And it tasted OK in this dish."  So I guess I won on this one?  


I love anything sweet potato, and have been wanting to try sweet potato ravioli for a while.  I don't have a pasta roller, and really didn't have time on this particular day to make and roll out my own pasta for ravioli, so I just used store-bought wonton wrappers.  They worked just fine.  


Sweet Potato Ravioli with Kale Pesto
Adapted from TheFirstMess

For the sweet potato filling:
1 medium sweet potato, baked until very soft (425 degrees for 30-45 mins)
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 clove garlic
juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper

for the kale pesto:
1/2 bunch kale leaves
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup olive oil
salt and pepper

1 pkg wonton wrappers

For the filling:
scoop out the sweet potato flesh into a food processor.  Add in the pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.  Process until all combined.  Set aside.

For the pesto:  
Put the kale, garlic, pine nuts, 2 tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper to taste in a food processor.  Process until all combined.  With the food processor running on high, pour in the remaining olive oil, until the pesto is a smooth paste consistency.  

To assemble the ravioli:
Put about a tablespoon of sweet potato filling into the center of a wonton wrapper.  With a brush (or wet finger), wet the edges of the wonton wrapper, and top with another.  Using a fork, press the edges together all around.  Repeat until filling and wrappers are gone.

To cook:
Boil water in a large pot.  Once boiling, drop in the filled ravioli and cook for about 5 minutes, until the wrappers are softened. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...